Monday, September 22, 2014

Asher by Jo Raven

Source:  Purchased
Genre:  New Adult
Publisher: Smashwords
Date Published: May 21st, 2014
Number of Pages: 213

Now eighteen, Audrey returns to her hometown for the first time after the accident – the car crash that took her dad and scarred her for life. She’s here to start again. Go to college and have fun. Make new friends. Get over the past.

But the past won’t let go. Asher is here – her first kiss, her first heartbreak. More handsome and distant than ever, he’s still the boy who used to be her best friend. That was before he changed into someone she hardly knows anymore – the boy who started getting into fights and gave her the cold shoulder for years.

Asher isn’t what she needs. In fact, she hates him and should try her best to keep away from him. Yet her body doesn’t seem to care about how she feels, and maybe, just maybe this time her body got it right. Not that she has much of a choice. Asher draws her like a bright flame, and if she isn’t careful, she’ll burn.

And that may not be such a bad thing after all...   (from Goodreads)



I'm not sure how I feel about this, let alone how to review it.  It was good, and then okay, and then stupid, and then eh. 

Audrey was rather enjoyable for the majority of the story.  I enjoyed her and loved her story arc as a whole.  Asher was fine too, though I just wanted to scream at times because of how stubborn and downright dumb he was. 

The violence was so muted that I often wondered if I had missed something.  

And while there was sex (duh...new adult), it was muted and only a single scene that I can remember.  Maybe it was 2.  But the sexual tension was so built up I really felt like throwing this book across the room and be done with it.  They clearly like each other.  No need to deny it for half of the book. 

The dual perspectives was interesting, and the look into Asher's past is heartbreaking and very realistic and I think getting the feels from his story is what kept me going and finishing this quick story. 

This is a quick, 1 day read that is book 1 in the "Inked Brotherhood" series, which I'm going to be honest doesn't make me want to read the other books.  

This is a pass for me.  Great writing though :)


3 Happy Clouds :)



0 comments :

Post a Comment