Sunday, May 25, 2014

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

Source:  Purchased
Genre:  YA-Contemporary
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers
Date Published: April 15, 2014
Number of Pages: 288


To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.  (from Goodreads)








To All the Boys I've Loved Before was such an....interesting read.  Like, seriously.  I didn't know what I was walking into.  I was quite surprised, but happily so.  

Things I loved about this:

1.  Lara Jean's family.  Kitty is ADORABLE.  Her dad makes it work even though he's a doctor.  Her sister going away to school was wonderfully realistic.
2.  Josh.  
3.  Peter, and his "I like you I hate you" personality.
4.  The unexpected story.

Things I hated about this:

1.  The ending.  Boom.  Let's just put this out there, this could have been a stand-alone.  And the ending?  What the hell happened the last, like, 40 pages????  Why?!?!
2.  I seriously had the hardest time getting through the first 70 or so pages of this book.  I just wanted to get to the damn letters already!!
3.  The entire back story of Margot.  It was chapters.  Chapters and chapters and chapters about her sister.  I could have done without all that.  Cause her sister is a bitch, and is mentioned like, 6 times after that.  And 4 of those times she's actually back home.
4.  Lara Jean made me want to whack my head against the wall at times.  I cringed at some of the things she did, but maybe I'm just weird.


This was quite a good read, regardless of the ending.  I read it in just over a day, and I loved most of it.  Josh and Peter play great contrasting characters, and Peter made me smile quite often.  He's adorable.  







                                    5 out of 5 Happy Clouds :)



0 comments :

Post a Comment