Monday, March 17, 2014

Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler

Source:  Purchased
Genre:  YA-Contemporary
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Date Published: January 3, 2012
Number of Pages: 378


Once upon a time, Hudson knew exactly what her future looked like. Then a betrayal changed her life, and knocked her dreams to the ground. Now she’s a girl who doesn’t believe in second chances... a girl who stays under the radar by baking cupcakes at her mom’s diner and obsessing over what might have been.

So when things start looking up and she has another shot at her dreams, Hudson is equal parts hopeful and terrified. Of course, this is also the moment a cute, sweet guy walks into her life... and starts serving up some seriously mixed signals. She’s got a lot on her plate, and for a girl who’s been burned before, risking it all is easier said than done.

It’s time for Hudson to ask herself what she really wants, and how much she’s willing to sacrifice to get it. Because in a place where opportunities are fleeting, she knows this chance may very well be her last...  (from Goodreads





Bittersweet was anything but, at least in my eyes.  It was beautiful, realistic, and really made me hungry.  

This novel was so sweet, and touching.  I honestly hated her mom, it drives me insane when parents open up a business and then expect the kids to want the business and not have any dreams of their own.  And forcing them to work there, yeah that pushes my buttons.   But Hudson's brother is so adorable and her relationship with her best friend is very realistic (I am reminded of my best friend in her).  

The writing was so quick, but at points I was actually skipping paragraphs, which is never a good sign.  It felt too descriptive, but that isn't necessarily bad.  It just wasn't my cup of tea.  But that didn't detract from my feelings about the story.  It was sweet, realistic, something I can picture one of my friends going through.  The marriage collapse and her father leaving were very well thought out and visualized.  Plus, there were some real skating terms in there, which I can always appreciate.







                                     5 out of 5 Happy Clouds :)

I would highly recommend this YA love story of sorts.  It's more about figuring out your own shit, then a love story, but the small, minuscule love story still warmed my heart.  It was wonderful.  And the cupcake descriptions leave you starving.  I ate cake for breakfast this morning.  That's how delicious this was.




0 comments :

Post a Comment