Sunday, February 16, 2014

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Source:  Purchased
Genre:  YA-Paranormal
Publisher:  Quirk
Date Published: January 1, 2011
Number of Pages:  352



A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.  (from Goodreads)





This book.  This damn book.  I wanted so badly to love it.  I did.  And once it started picking up I did, but I can't say that I loved this book as a whole.  It was just, expected.  The first 150 pages took me forever to read, I kept expecting something, anything to happen.  I loved the children and I loved Jacob and once it started getting to the actual story the book was rather quickly finished.  


I kept feeling like the story was getting pushed back, that there had to be filler when there really didn't need to be.  While I loved the actual story when they got to it, it felt rather short for what it could have been.  


I look forward to the next book, Hollow City, however, because I can't wait to see what happens next in the story.







                                                       4 out of 5 Happy Clouds :)

I'd recommend it, but with caution.  You have to have some power to get through to the main story line, but once you're there, it is amazing.  Gotta love the children.




0 comments :

Post a Comment